CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cuba, here we come?



So, it looks like travel restrictions between the US and Cuba may be released in the near future. I actually have mixed feelings about this...

I traveled to Cuba in the summer of 2004 and had an amazing experience! It was such an authentic place and the people were amazing! My experience was bitter-sweet though because it was pretty sad to see the disparities between rich and poor. My husband and I stayed with a family in each city we visited there (Havana and Trinidad) because we wanted a more authentic experience. It was especially difficult to see that there were so many restrictions on people and that they were SO afraid to speak with us about how they really felt about it. Despite all of that, there is a beauty and a joyous spirit that lights up the faces of everyone you see in the streets. Take the man in the picture with me for instance...he didn't have much, but he decided to use things he found on the street to make a camera and "interview" anyone who was walking by and willing to take part in his imaginary recording. I love it! I could write for hours about people we met...experiences we had...food we ate...Mojitos we drank, etc.

Back to the point of this entry...opening up travel to Cuba. I fear this could take away some of the authenticity of Cuba and turn it into an island for profit with nothing but resorts and tourist attractions (similar to many of the Caribbean islands). I shouldn't jump to conclusions though because I am sure Raul and Fidel will make sure that ownership of properties is NOT easy for Americans...they're not stupid people (even though I may disagree on how they run their country). We'll see what happens...until then, I will reminisce on my last "educational" trip to Cuba :-)

Check out this article for more information on the meetings that took place between Congressional Black Caucus members and Raul Castro yesterday.

0 comments: