CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Best African Music of 2008


I fell in love with African music back in college, particularly Afrobeat. I can remember the day I was cruising the aisles of my favorite record store in Tallahassee, FL called Vinyl Fever and I saw a display featuring Afrobeat music. I had already been put on to Fela Kuti and Femi Kuti by my dad (my musical muse) a while back, but I saw a number of other artists featured and decided to purchase a few. Since then I have really been hooked! Also, after traveling to Africa a couple times I have been able to pick up more music and fall deeper in love with all types.

Needless to say, when I saw that NPR was featuring the "Best African Music of 2008" I couldn't wait to check it out!! I was very pleased with the top 10 and hope that you will enjoy the music as much as I have. There is one album that isn't on the list that I think was worthy, and that was Amadou & Miriam's "Welcome to Mali" - check out some of the tracks here. Happy listening!




0 comments: